Teenage girl charged in recruitment of Toronto high school student into sex trade

A 17-year-old girl has been charged in connection with a human trafficking investigation that police say led to a 16-year-old Catholic high school student being recruited into prostitution.

Toronto police launched an investigation on April 12 after investigators said the 16-year-old St. Joseph’s College student was recruited by the older teenager, a former student of the same school, and introduced to two men in March 2015.

Police said the two men befriended the younger teenager and told her she could make a lot of money working for them.

ChangSha Night Net

READ MORE: 80 arrested, 274 charges laid in massive Ontario-wide child porn bust

The 16-year-old girl was then “controlled through intimidation and threats” and police said she was forced to work the sex trade for the two men.

Investigators said the 17-year-old took photos of the younger in various states of undress and posted them on backpage长沙桑拿, an escort website, advertising sexual services.

The 16-year-old girl was then taken by the men to various hotels in Toronto, forced to have sex with clients and handed over all of the money to the two men, who police said also sexually assaulted the girl.

READ MORE: Man, woman from Brampton arrested in human trafficking investigation

Police arrested the 17-year-old girl, who cannot be identified under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, and charged her with procuring a person under 18 years of age, advertising another person’s sexual services, possession of child pornography, making child pornography and distributing child pornography.

The two men had previously been arrested and charged in the investigation, but investigators believe there may be more victims.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at 长沙桑拿按摩论坛长沙夜生活222tips长沙桑拿, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or leave a tip on Facebook.

Alberta home insurance premiums could rise following Fort McMurray fire: analyst

Albertans and people living in wildfire-prone areas could see an increase in their insurance bills following the wildfire in Fort McMurray, according to one analyst.

“I think it’s safe to assume that the fire will become the largest insured loss in Canadian history,” said Jason Thistlethwaite, director of the Climate Change Adaptation Project at the University of Waterloo.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • ‘Ocean of fire’ destroys 2,400 structures but 85% of Fort McMurray still stands

  • Fort McMurray wildfire: Homeowners to face difficult choice of whether to rebuild

  • Fort McMurray wildfire: Insurance companies begin preparing for fire claims

    A 2011 fire in Slave Lake, Alberta, destroyed 374 properties and damaged another 32, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s website. Insured damage from that fire amounted to more than $700 million.

    In Fort McMurray, more than 2,400 structures were burned, according to the most recent damage assessment.

    READ MORE: ‘Ocean of fire’ destroys 2,400 structures but 85% of Fort McMurray still stands

    While it’s hard to estimate damages until insurers can survey the area, a BMO Capital Markets analysis last week estimated losses between $2.6 billion and $9 billion.

    Almost all home insurance policies cover wildfire damage. So homeowners can expect to receive a cheque for the cost of rebuilding their home, as well as some coverage for things like living expenses while forced to flee their homes and food lost in a refrigerator or smoke damage to carpets. The size of the payout is calculated based on factors including the type of damage, value of goods in the house and the type of policy purchased.

    READ MORE: Fort McMurray wildfire: Homeowners to face difficult choice of whether to rebuild

    However, getting the money might take a while. People in Slave Lake had to wait anywhere from eight months to over two years for their homes to be rebuilt, said Bill Adams, vice-president for the western and pacific region for the Insurance Bureau of Canada.

    Insurance companies could pass along payout costs to their other customers, said Thistlethwaite.

    “Insurance is a business and when the industry suffers a significant loss, it tries to recoup those losses. The insurance industry recoups those losses by assessing for risk,” he said.

    “Everyone in Canada contributes to property insurance, so we’re all contributing to offset some of the losses associated with the damage in Fort McMurray.”

    Norma Nielson, a business professor at the University of Calgary, likens it to a pebble thrown into in a pond. “The way this works is the costs will spread out, literally around the world.

    “A little like the ripple in a pond, you might see a bigger effect in Alberta, close to the pebble dropping, but the ripples may go further out.”

    That means that most people will hardly notice a difference, she said.

    Although Thistlethwaite believes there will be a noticeable increase in the cost of insurance, he isn’t picturing a massive hike. “There will be increases in the price of insurance, particularly in the province of Alberta, but I wouldn’t expect those increases to be so significant that you’re limiting the affordability of coverage.”

    Smaller insurance companies may also decide to stop covering wildfire damage, or set a cap on the amount they will pay, he said.

    Steve Kee, director for media and communications with the Insurance Bureau of Canada said he can’t speculate on insurance rates and it’s too early to tell what the fire’s effect will be.

    “Insurers set their rates based on the projected costs. One isolated event won’t affect rates that much, if at all. Insurers look at trends over several years,” he said.

    “Our members are all going to have different experiences and different exposure in these regions. It is too early to speculate on rates as we haven’t even got the numbers in on damages. Some consumers may alter coverage, raise deductibles, etc. to maintain consistency on premiums but really it is too early to tell.”

    This is just how insurance works, said Nielson. “That’s the deal we make when we buy insurance: that if we’re lucky enough not to have our house burn, the money gets used to pay people who did.”

    Loss prevention

    Thistlethwaite hopes that following the fire in Fort McMurray, governments pay more attention to what can be done to prevent massive losses, rather than just relying on insurance to cover them.

    It might be better to encourage people to build in less-risky areas, like further from the tree line, he said, or funding municipalities to put in safeguards.

    “The more money that we put into reducing our vulnerability to extreme weather and natural disasters, the cheaper our insurance will be. It’s that simple.”

    With files from the Canadian Press

New Trudeau airport jetty embraces distinct Montreal look

MONTREAL – Pierre-Elliott Trudeau airport unveiled its new international jetty Thursday.

At a cost of $350 million, the goal was to create an area that would be “distinctively Montreal.”

READ MORE: Dorval ‘overpass to nowhere’ could finally link Trudeau airport, highways

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Dorval ‘overpass to nowhere’ could finally link Trudeau airport, highways

  • Residents concerned about noise levels near Trudeau Airport want to be heard

  • Residents want Trudeau airport to turn down the volume

    “We want people to come here and sense, when you’re in this airport that you’re still in Montreal,” said James Cherry, CEO of Aéroports de Montréal.

    “I used to find that when I travel in an airport I’d say ‘I see the same stores everywhere, I could be in Winnipeg or Denver or St. Louis or Minneapolis’ and I couldn’t tell from inside the airport.”

    “We want people to come into our airport and say ‘this is definitely Montreal.’”

    In addition to a signature Montreal food truck, there are new shops and boutiques, as well as 1,000 chairs equipped with charging stations.

    Outside, there is room for new wide-body aircraft, including the Airbus a-380, the largest airliner in the world.

    READ MORE: Residents concerned about noise levels near Trudeau Airport want to be heard

    Cherry said the improvements provide more space for passengers.

    Trudeau airport’s new international jetty opens to passengers on Thursday.

Canada, U.S. begin working group to solve no-fly list errors: Goodale

Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says Canada and the U.S. have established a working group to help resolve problems related to no-fly lists.

Goodale said Tuesday the bilateral Redress Working Group provides a means for government officials to communicate and will help ensure availability of the most accurate information.

The current Canadian system “piggybacks” onto the systems from airlines whereas the American system is operated by the U.S. government.

ChangSha Night Net

“The American system is a standalone system run by the government and the database is entirely interactive and in that way, the American authorities are able to deliver those redress solutions very quickly,” he told Global News.

READ MORE: Added airport security screening not needed for those under-18, says Minister Goodale

Goodale said experts told him an entirely new system will have to be built so the Liberal government is looking for both short- and long-term solutions.

“We are looking at the practical ways where we can find solutions in the short-term for the false positives that are popping up and then redesign the whole thing for the longer term which will mean an entirely new database and information system and that takes some time,” he explained.

Canada and the U.S. had previously agreed to set up the body within 60 days during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit to the White House in March.

“We took advantage of that opportunity to establish a redress working group between both countries to draw this together as effectively as we can to eliminate this problem,” Goodale said.

READ MORE: Why your kid’s name could put them on an airline security watchlist

Global News has reported on several cases of young Canadians, including a six-year-old, who faced long airport delays after their names were flagged on aviation security lists.

“There are no 6-year-olds on the no-fly list,” Goodale said. “Unfortunately, there are adult culprits who have very similar or the same names, and they are on the list.

“It’s the confusion between the two that’s causing the problem.”

Storm chaser Reed Timmer captures stunning 360-degree video of tornado

Renowned storm chaser Reed Timmer is no stranger to facing down the swirling winds of tornadoes ripping through the fields and towns of the so-called tornado alley.

But one of his latest videos lets followers take a spin around the storm cell, using 360-degree video.

READ MORE: 2 dead after tornadoes tear through Oklahoma

With a 360-degree camera mounted on his vehicle, Timmer and his crew captured jaw-dropping footage of the twister, allowing viewers to toggle the screen and view the storm from ground to sky and peer into the heart of the storm as he speeds towards it.

(Use your mouse to move the video viewer on a desktop or tilt your phone to see the 360-degree view)

Timmer, on his 桑拿会所 account, said it was the “most insane video of [a] tornado” he had ever shot.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • How you can stay safe and save lives this severe weather season

  • The science behind tornadoes: What they are and how they form

  • Are you ready for an emergency? 5 tips to get you prepared

    The tornado outside of Wray was one of four twisters to touch down in Colorado’s Yuma County Saturday.

    Fortunately only four people were reported injured in the stormy weather and there were no reports of damage.

    READ MORE: The science behind tornadoes: What they are and how they form

    Since Saturday, the same system of storms has spawned a series of tornadoes in the U.S. Midwest and Great Plains — including a particularly destructive one that killed two people and destroyed several homes in Oklahoma late Monday afternoon. According to the Storm Prediction Center, 23 tornadoes touched down in five states Monday.

    WATCH BELOW: Deadly tornado touches down in Oklahoma, destroys homes

    ‘Largest tornado I’ve ever seen’: Powerful twister strikes Oklahoma

    01:47

    ‘Largest tornado I’ve ever seen’: Powerful twister strikes Oklahoma

00:52

Oklahoma man lucky to be alive after deadly tornadoes spare home

00:33

Raw video: aftermath of Oklahoma tornado leaves county in pieces

00:58

Raw video: tornado touches down in Oklahoma



Follow @nick_logan